"Didi, Didi"


So let me start with a public service announcement.  I can only post blogs, I cannot preview or open my actual blog site.  So I apologize for any formatting or lack thereof. 

Today was another great day.  We were able to stay up all day without a nap!  We must be getting used to this Delhi heat.  But don’t be fooled, it’s still an inferno and quite possibly the hottest place I have ever been in my life.   
We held our second day of VBS at the same church as yesterday.  We were supposed to have a smaller number of kids, but of course, the number grew as the day went on.  Which isn’t a problem at all, except when it comes to the Craft Queen trying to find enough crafts for each kid.  Speaking of crafts, the Craft Queen didn’t seem to organize the craft as well today.  I had to go a little schoolteacher on a kid today.  He was screaming “Didi, Didi...” and some other stuff in a language I have not quite mastered.  He kept on jumping in my face impatiently screaming “Didi, Didi” and trying to grab string out of my hand.  Of course, I was not going to give him his craft first.  I politely looked at him and said, “Look kid, I have no clue what you are saying.  All I know is you need to sit down.”   Somebody understood English well, because they yelled at him and he sat.  Come to find out “Didi” means “Older Sister.” Hmmm...I have never been referred to as “old” or even “older.”  Can’t be the gray hair because I died that before I left.  Oh well.  I guess “Didi” will have to do.
Yvette was able to use her gifts for the glory of God...that gift being dancing.  She decided to grab the older girls during rec time and teach them the Cupid Shuffle.  Her and Tracy had quite a following as other girls and eventually boys snuck in to give it a try.  The adult ladies were dying to try, but were too shy to jump out there.  Maybe tomorrow we can get them going. 
Dad spent the day at a Youth Conference just a short walk down the road.  Now, youth conference here does not necessarily mean middle and high schoolers.  Some of these “youth” that showed were well over 20 years older than I am.  Needless to say, it was a great day.  Come to find out, some of the attendees got up at 4 am to head to catch a train just so they could make it to the conference.  After our VBS we joined Dad at the other church for lunch, which was excellent.  By far the best meal yet.  After lunch we each got the chance to share in some way or another.  
One of the obvious highlights of my day and perhaps my entire trip was near the end of the Youth Conference.  The group was signing a song in Hindi.  I am not sure if you have ever heard people from India sing in their own language, but it is absolutely some  of the most beautiful music you will ever hear.  This one song in particular had to last at least ten minutes.  To help paint the picture for you, imagine yourself at a Georgia football game anxiously waiting for the kick off throwing your arms up in the air with thousands of other fans screaming “OOooooooooooo.....sic ‘em!”  That’s exactly the way the Indian youth sang this song.  They started out softly and gradually got louder and louder until they were clapping so hard and singing so loudly that I couldn’t help but wonder what they were singing about.  Come to find out, they were singing, “I want to go to Heaven where Jesus is.”  
At the end of the service, Amos, our missionary to New Delhi, led the group in a prayer.  Then about twenty or so men and women walked to the front.  We were not quite sure why they went to the front, then Amos walked over and said, “They want you to pray for them.”  The Indian people love for American Christians to come and pray for them.  When they think America they think wealth, prosperity, and happiness.  Sometimes I feel they want what we have, and by us praying for them they might somehow gain access to that.  However, they have it all wrong.  We don’t have something that they need, but they have something that we need.  They have a yearning desire for God and God alone.  These Indian people will more than likely will never escape the conditions they live in, and never know the “wealth” that many Americans know.  However, many Americans will never experience the wealth that they have.  It’s a shame that our wealth and “joy” is so deep rooted in possessions and status.  If only we knew that the only true joy in life comes from seeking God and God alone.  The Indians went up front wanting for us to place our arms around them and bless them, but really, they blessed us.  

Category: 1 comments

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley,
I find I can't wait to see if you have posted another entry to your blog. It has been such a blessing to read them. I have actually gone back and read all the previous entries from you other trips. Sometimes I cried, but mostly I have laughed (out loud) and then I have to share some with David. I can't wait to see you in your new "hippie" clothes! Take care and tell everyone hello from us.
Love,
Merry