Guest Blog: Steve Cohoon

Today I began to realize all over again how truly blessed I am.  First of all I am saved by the blood of Christ and what greater blessing can there be?  Next, I have the most incredible family ever.  I have a wife that loves me and supports me as God has called me to this ministry in South Asia and the Middle East.  I have two of the most beautiful daughters in the world.  One of which is carrying our very first grandchild.  I am already praying for little Brecken that God will save him at an early age and use him mightily in His kingdom work…whatever He calls him to do.  I even have the best son-in-law ever and if he reads this blog I will never hear the end of it.

Our youngest daughter Ashley is with us on this trip.  Of course you know that if you are reading her blog!  Duh!  But anyway I am always excited to see her participate with the team in the worship and the teaching we are doing this week.  It gives a Dad and Mom a pretty good feeling to see God using their kids in such ways.  Brittany and Byron are also involved with young people at their church.  I am so thankful that the passion God has given Debra and I for ministry to kids and the time we have spent away from them over the years did not discourage them.

Since I have been the Area Director for Awana International in this part of the world, and really even before that, I knew we had a very special breed of individuals God placed in our organization.  Every time I come, without fail, I get to spend time on the field with at least one of our missionaries.  This time it is Amos Paudyal.  I have known a lot of folks in the ministry over my lifetime.  None have impacted me more than Amos.  I just love being around him.  His demeanor and positive outlook on everything is contagious.  That is why God has used him to mentor and disciple two other young men in the ministry.  Both of them, Bobby and David, have told us how much they admire Amos and how much of a mentor leader he is to them.

Watching all three of these men work together this week has only confirmed my suspicions that God has indeed put together the most excellent team in the world to work with Awana Youth Programs in India.  What is the most amazing part?  Two of them are volunteers.  Sweating in 115 degree F weather inside a 400 square foot church room with 170 children; jumping up and down singing praise songs and leading a modified version of recreation time.  Amos is modeling for these men that being an Awana missionary is so much more than training leaders and starting Awana Clubs.  Amos has so many Pastors and friends in the ministry that he counsels and encourages on a daily basis.  He is a busy man.  Always available and never too tasked to try and meet a need that comes before him.  And, on top of that he has a beautiful wife and two beautiful little girls who support him.  Indeed my heart is full this week.  

God has used this to provide ministry to children, many of whom for the first time have a simple VBS craft item put together by Debra and value it as if it were the latest CD or an I-Pod or something.  I have watched the “Dancing Queen” Yvette having so much fun teaching the older children to dance and enjoy life.  She also does a pretty good job of storytelling as well.  I have watched Tracy, the youngest in our group meet the challenge of the heat, humidity, and ever changing circumstances as the word of the day in India is “flexibility”.  Tracy does everything she is asked to do with a smile!  She does our storytime on Day 2 of VBS telling the story of “The Lost Sheep” to the children.

Yes, I am a pretty proud Dad when it comes to just watching my little Bunny, Ashley work with the kids and enjoy providing ministry to them.  What an incredible week!

Category: 0 comments

0 comments: