Elvis has left the building...






So today was the third and final day of our first VBS.  Which pretty much means everyone wants to get in their last handshake, picture, and “Didi.”  We had another great day!  One of the older girls brought her ink, or whatever it is called, and gave us all henna tattoos.  She did an excellent job!  Yvette, Tracy, Mom, and myself all got one.  When we were finished, we wanted to pay her for the ink and all her work.  David, our incredible helper, suggested just 20 rupees per person.  20 rupees is less than 50 cents.  We obviously gave her more than that.  I practically had to shove it in her hand because she would not take it.  She wanted to give it to us, but we knew that she could not afford to just run out and buy ink whenever she wanted to.  They are such giving people.  It’s unbelievable.  
Yvette was a hit again leading the girls in the Cupid Shuffle.  She had quite a crowd today, and we were actually able to play the music through a portable amp.  Amos joined in on the fun carrying the amp on his head while dancing with us.  
Several times during today’s VBS we were mobbed for pictures, autographs, and handshakes.  At one point I counted about twelve cell phone cameras pointed in our direction.  Everyone wanted a picture with us, and some wanted several.  Every kid wanted to shake your hand and tell you “Praise the Lord.”  Close to the end of the service, Amos told us we had to get out of there or we would be there all day.  So we started making our way out and we just couldn’t help but acknowledge those grabbing our arms as we walked out of the room.  The women in particular wanted to give kisses.  I probably got about twenty Indian kisses in a few minutes as I battled my way to the back door.  The kisses were precious!  I did get nervous, however, when a boy stood tall beside me.  I was relieved when he just whispered in my ear, “Photo.”  I wasn’t sure how I would explain that one.  I felt like we need to announce, "Elvis has left the building."
We were able to come back to the hotel, shower, and rest a while today.  Showers are amazing.  So amazing, that in order to decide who got to go first, Yvette suggested we play “Gorilla, Man, Gun.”  Great idea! But little did we know we would tie three times in a row never deciding on a winner.  We decided to let Yvette go first because she was about to wet the floor she was laughing so hard.  
We just got back from a “Cottage Meeting” at David’s house.  I will tell you a little more about David and our other helpers later, but basically the “Cottage Meeting” was like a small group.  David and his wife live beside the Italian Embassy in the actual housing for the workers.  His wife is one of the cooks for the Embassy and prepared an excellent meal for us.  We had a great time hanging out with about fifteen people from Amos’s church.  We were able to hang out a little with a sixteen year old girl named Aneesha.  Aneesha talked to us about school and her dream of becoming a professional choreographer.  She also told us that the darker your henna appears, the more your husband will love you.  If that’s the case, I better go back for a touch-up.  Mine was definitely the lightest.....hm.....
Today was a great day.  We enjoyed hanging out with the small group and being able to see just how these house meetings work in a country like India.  They held their own worship time each treating it as if they were in a church full of people on a Sunday morning.  Then, everyone is allowed to share what is going on in their lives and what God has revealed to them lately.  We were each able to share a little tonight about our trip, and also to encourage the people there including our incredible leaders Amos, David, and Bobby.
It’s hard to believe we are halfway through.  I am definitely feeling a little tired tonight, so sorry if the blog is not up to par.  I am looking forward to these next three days of VBS and pray that I will make the most out of my last days here in India.  God has already done some incredible things in the lives of many kids.  He has also revealed more to me than I ever imagined.  I can’t wait to see what’s in store as we start winding down our trip.  

Category: 0 comments

0 comments: