So today was our second day of our second VBS camp. The kids at this camp are incredible. They are very well-behaved, and seem to enjoy whatever we do with them. We began to wonder if the kids had to pay to attend camp because as each kid came in to register they dropped rupees in a jug. So we asked the pastor, and he said that he encouraged the kids to bring 30 rupees (about 70 cents) to use for special programs for the church. He is trying to teach the kids that not all things in life are free, and about helping the church. He also invited many of the slum children to attend, as they sent someone to pick them up everyday and walk them to the church.
I was amazed today after craft time when the leader brought a bucket up to put trash in. for the 6, 7, and 8 year-olds. They immediately jumped up and ran in circles around their area frantically picking up trash. Before I had time to grab the camera they had already cleaned everything up and were scrambling back to their seats in the circle. I am amazed at how the church teaches these children manners and discipline.
Today, Tracy shared the parable of the lost sheep for the second time. She has done an excellent job with her storytelling. Both times I have been the shepherd and both times Yvette has been the lost sheep....and both times I have not been able to find her. Kinda ruins the story huh? The first time she went up the stairs and claims she told me to go up the stairs to find her. The poor kids looked just as confused as I did when I stood at the bottom of the stairs staring up waiting on her to come down. Today, I went outside the door where she told me to find her and she was not there. Finally she came around the corner with her camera. She said she was “sightseeing.” Hmm...the kids got a kick out of me dragging her in celebrating the lost sheep that was now found.
Not only do we have a Dancing Queen, but we also have a magician. Dad has been doing little “illusions” for the kids. This second group of kids absolutely love them! They were cheering so loudly for Dad today, but much to their dismay he did not have any for them. It was as if Amos was announcing the starting lineup. Often we have no idea what they are saying up there, but we catch little bits and pieces that let us know what is going on. I heard Amos say “Magic Tricks” in the middle of his Hindi introduction and the kids went nuts. Of course Dad loved it. I cannot wait to see their faces tomorrow when he brings his “magic tricks.”
It is so amazing to me the things that excite these kids. They love many of the things we take for granted, and think are outdated. They love action songs, magic tricks, crafts, and Dum Dums. I love watching the kids as they completely eat up the crafts! They sit and stare at the crafts as if they are video games. They pay such careful attention to their projects, and have to yell “Didi” and hold up their craft for you to see when they are finished. It was also neat today to see Bobby, David, and other Pastor’s jump in and do a craft themselves. We could tell they wanted one, and they were ecstatic when we offered!
Come to find out, most of the children at our first camp had never completed a craft before. One of the crafts for the littlest kids included coloring a decorated cross. I loved watching the Pastor’s jump in and help the groups, especially the little kids. Many of these kids are from the slums, some even from the villages, and they do not even know how to hold a crayon. It was incredible watching these grown men down on the ground in 115 degree heat holding a child’s hand helping them to color a silly piece of paper. I can’t imagine a more humbling image.
I am in awe of the Pastor’s here. They are more than just Pastor’s, they are servants. Their love for children and youth is incredible. I love seeing David and Bobby lead worship and other aspects of the day. Both of these guys are Pastor’s for their church, and are incredible with children. They are spending their week helping us minister to kids through VBS for no pay rather than carrying on with their daily lives. I love watching the Pastor’s stand in the back during song time and participate in the action songs. I loved watching them walk around in craft time pumping up the kids, encouraging them, and praising them for their hard work. I have never met such caring, compassionate, and humble men. We keep trying to talk them into coming home with us. I can’t even describe how much I have learned just by watching the Indian people serve and love.
Well, there is a lot to write about and I am afraid I have to cut this one short before you all fall asleep. Looking forward to updating you on our shopping excursions and our last day of VBS. Only two days left! The last days are the toughest. Not only are we tired and, as Yvette says, “going postal” at times, but we are also getting closer to saying our goodbyes. To quote the classic “Dumb and Dumber” movie, “I hate goodbyes.”
0 comments:
Post a Comment