Oh India, how I have missed you


It did not take long for me to realize that we had finally arrived in Incredible !india.  Stepping out of the plane there was an immediate change in the aroma.  Not only did the smells assure me that we had arrived, but the failure to maintain lanes, the sight of men “relieving” themselves on the side of the road, and the sound of horns blowing just to say, “Hey, I’m right behind you!” helped to let us know that we truly are here.   
Our flights were great, London airport was great, and our hotel is pretty good too!  Internet is fairly expensive at the hotel, which we are not very excited about, but little did the “very hospitable” night manager know...he saved the password on my laptop when I paid for one hour of internet service.  Hoping he does not find out my “master internet plan.”  Let’s just hope I am beating him at his own game.
Today we got to the hotel, showered, and headed to a church service.  We were feeling pretty good until the preaching started, then the jet lag hit us hard.  In fact, I am pretty sure I heard a little “snort” come from Yvette while her eyes were closed.  It was not the speaker at all, he was actually great!  We were just a little tired.  After church we were able to eat with William Uncle’s family at Pizza Hut and had a good time meeting his kids.  
This is my third trip to India, but only my first to New Delhi.  One thing I noticed is that it is unbelievably hot and humid here.  I will be relying on my water, Gatorade packets, and trail mix to keep me going during our day.   I also couldn’t help but notice the high amount of beggars.  We got out at Pizza Hut, and one immediately grabbed Dad by the arm.  It was a little girl trying to sell pencils for Rupees.  Dad must be a big teddy bear or have “sucker” written on his head because they flock to him.  I looked down the sidewalk a little ways and saw Mom with a girl hanging onto her arm trying to get money as well.  We are told not to give the kids money and if you have seen Slumdog Millionaire you will know why.  Often these kids work for a “master” that uses the kids to get money.  It is so hard because these kids are so pitiful and are the most beautiful kids, but at the same time if we give money we could potentially be stalked and mugged for more. 
After a much needed nap, we ventured out to assess the shopping situation.  Let me tell you, I am stoked.  I forgot just how much I love shopping in India!  Brittany (my ever so fashionable sister) will surely call me a hippie when I get back with the goodies I hope to buy!
Well that’s it for now.  We are getting stuff ready to start our first day of VBS tomorrow.  Looking forward to working with the kids and taking on my role as song leader.  
Hope to keep the updates coming (of course pending our internet plan).
Category: 0 comments

0 comments: