Pizza Hut count: 2



Well, we haven't gotten "leid" yet, but the Pizza Hut count is up to 2. Yesterday was a great day. Em and I woke up and went for a walk. There is a park near our hotel with a huge lake in it. However, we could not find the entrance, so we were just looking at it from the street. I spent most of the time waving off rickshaws. I am getting the hang of this Indian head bobble thing, I do have Indian cheekbones after all. But I will say, crossing the street is probably the most challenging thing to do. It is similar to playing Frogger in real life. We did have a minor crisis while out: I stepped in poop of some sort. I didn't know it until I was back in the room pumping up basketballs. I got a whiff, and Mom blamed it on Em. How dare she (sorry Em). I spent about 30 minutes cleaning my shoe and take pride in saying I have the cleanest shoe in India.

We then headed to a hometown Botanical Garden to walk around and chill. But the highlight of the day was going to a Compassion International Project in the slums. Think: Slumdog Millionaire. From the time we started driving down the dirt road people were staring and kids were walking beside our bus. There were about 300 kids in a small church building. When we got there we did a mini service with singing (by yours truly...and I CAN'T sing), a short story (by Christina) and then Dad shared a little. We then split in 4 different directions for games. We had a group in the building, a group outside under a concrete carport, and 2 groups in a dirt field. They didn't have a goal, but we played basketball anyways bare foot and all! I think the funniest part was having to dodge the rickshaws and bikes that kept driving through my group. Or maybe it was seeing Gladys trying to teach the little boys how to pass and dribble...did I mention she doesn't really know how to play?

The pastor there was incredible. In fact, after we were finished with games we went back in and sang another song led by Willy (William Gordon who stayed with us for a month in September). While the kids were lining up for supper, Mohan tells me that the pastor wants to put up a basketball goal for the kids so we can teach them how to play. How about that? A basketball goal over here is really expensive. I cannot remember the exact price. But, it is a luxury just to have one. No wonder we haven't seen many around. They will only get a backboard and rim, and then they will make the pole out of Bamboo wood. A basketball goal in the slums, incredible.

We are so excited that we get to head out to the same project tonight. The kids were precious. We were sitting in the middle of them and all they wanted to do was rub your arms and touch your face. They wanted to make sure we were real. Honestly, they just like you to be there with them. They don't care if we plan elaborate games and activities. They had the most fun when Rojers and I were running around giving them high fives and making them scream. It is so exciting to see how everything is coming together. Thursday and Friday morning we are almost positive that we have a basketball clinic lined up at a school with a basketball goal...WOW! Keep praying that will follow through for us.

Loving on these kids is amazing. All they want is love. And don't forget: God is faithful!
Category: 1 comments

1 comments:

Brittany said...

See I knew you would end up where God wanted you this week! Now tell me, when Willy was playing those songs did he use your gutair Ash? =)