This morning started out early and in an interesting way. Around midnight, mother woke me up and asked if I “heard anything”. Of course I hear things...but I actually listened closely. We heard shouting, horns blowing, and some sort of trumpet sound. Mom thought there was a riot/war going on outside our hotel. Not gonna lie, I got a little worried at first. However, my calmness stepped in and I remembered meeting some guys at the hotel who said they were going to watch the World Cup on a big screen about a mile away. So the shouts we heard were people cheering...and the horns were those horns that make the “bee” noise. It had to be several hundred people cheering insanely for teams that do not even represent their country.
Back to our day, we split up into three taxis to head to the airport. Mom, Chris, and myself were in one taxi. As we drove up to the guards at the airport, our car breaks down. So we sit and wait it out a bit, and find that the car is just not healing itself. So we get out, pay the taxi driver full price even though mom tried to bargain with him since he broke down (which we probably got ripped off anyways....but whatever), and began to walk with book bags and three suitcases...one of which does not roll...up a hill towards the domestic airport (which was half a mile away). I think the worst part was when one of our other two taxis just passed us and waved...I got your back too guys :)
We were so honored to have Rachel, Gajendra’s daughter, join us on our trip! She immediately hit it off with Hannah and Christina and became their side kick for the morning. She is 12 years old, and is already a hard worker like her mother, Manju! We loved having her along.
I think a few words could sum up our first “basketball clinic and kids camp” today: hot, signatures, incredible. The Little Flower School is fairly unique. It is a Christian School, yet 95% of the students are not Christians. Parents want to send their kids to the Christian schools for a better education, and as a private school. Another reason why this school is unique is because it was founded by Gajendra, the National Director for Nepal, in 1991. So as we drive up to a gate that reads “Little Flower School”, we notice that there are lines of students standing inside the gate on both sides. It was as if they were making a tunnel. In the front of both rows were younger kids, and in the back were older kids. As we stepped off the bus they put a small scarf and leis around our necks. As we walked through the “tunnel” the little kids handed us beautiful flowers. Dad had so many flowers he made a trail of them as he walked. The emotions that you feel when something like this happens just cannot be put into words. It is completely humbling.
Throughout the day we taught the kids a little about basketball, handed out and explained wordless book bracelets, and had a “mini-service” with singing and a story. Altogether it was a great day. I love to think that some of these kids are hearing the Gospel for the first time. Although it is a Christian school, there are strict regulations on what a teacher can teach. How awesome is it that we can go in and be the voice for the teachers? We WERE the teachers for a big chunk of their school day. Of course, as we get ready to leave they thanked us and presented the ladies with awesome scarves, and the men with the ever-so-cute Nepali hats. I think Dad is probably going to sleep in his.
After leaving the camp, we stopped in and visited with Gajendra’s parents, Manju’s Parents, and missionary Purna’s family. It was a great afternoon, but that sun will really suck that energy right out of you. I am sure the only reason I have not passed out yet is because of all the Cokes and Mountain Dews we were served at the camp and all our house visits.
I know this is a little lengthy, but I hope you get a little bit of a glimpse into our day. I would love to post pictures, but I am actually borrowing Gajendra’s air card for internet (no internet here!). About to go take a shower (not hot water here either).
Introducing A Big Island Life
12 years ago
1 comments:
keep posting the details of the trip. we are praying for you.
Post a Comment