Well, we have finally arrived in Kathmandu, Nepal. Actually, we arrived about 16 hours or so ago. Although we just got here, I have already made quite a few observations so far:
- The flight from Delhi to Kathmandu is phenomenal. Nothing like seeing the Himalayas out your window and knowing one of those is Mount Everest.
- Amsterday Airport ROCKS in comparison to Paris...Hasta Luego Air France!
- Nepal is a bit cleaner than India (thus far).
- I should have brought more capris and less pants. It’s hot!
- Shopping here is gonna be awesome! Already cutting some deals.
- I can “rough it” with the best of them. (The water where we are today smells a little funky...definitely should not have washed my face with it because the smell is now stuck in my nose)
- There are not really “traffic rules” much like India. No reason to maintain your lane, use a signal, or wait your turn.
- Nepali people are just precious!
So here we are, moving around like zombies, and trying to get everything ready for our first camps in Nepal. Tomorrow morning we leave at 5 am for the refugee camps in eastern Nepal. Shortly after arriving, we are conducting a basketball clinic and a short kids camp for at least 300 students at a local school. The next two days involve our 6 hour kids camps. Over the course of these two camps, we will be working with over 1300 kids, 25 pastors, and 150 leaders.
Today after lunch, a few of us ventured out to walk among the streets of Kathmandu and scope out the shopping. We were led by the one and only (and fearless) Big Mama. It was quite fun walking in and messing with the vendors. In fact, my quote of the day pertains to Chris Wheeler and his shopping experience. As we finished up our shopping extravaganza and walked through the hotel gate, Chris said, “This is the most fun I have ever had shopping in my life.” Now we know if Chris ever disappears he is probably walking the streets of Kathmandu harassing some poor vendors. We did have two guys follow us for two hours with some dumb recorder looking instruments and mini fiddle. I thought Mom was gonna body slam someone.
Well, nothing too exciting to post so far. I am really looking forward to getting to interact with all the Nepali kids tomorrow. Pray that we will be full of energy and ready to beat the heat (and mosquitos) for the next three days.
Not sure how our internet connection will be in Eastern Nepal, but check back for updates on our camps (and hopefully some pictures as well).
4 comments:
Praise God for everyone's safe arrival to nepal. I want to shop so badly. tell big mamma to look out for some costume jewleries(necklaces and bangles).where are my kids?? are they with you or with another group. Do mention them in your blog please, so I can have some comfort knowing that they are doing well.
praying for you all
Praise God for everyone's safe arrival to nepal. I want to shop so badly. tell big mamma to look out for some costume jewleries(necklaces and bangles).where are my kids?? are they with you or with another group. Do mention them in your blog please, so I can have some comfort knowing that they are doing well.
praying for you all
Gald to hear that you all have reached safe to one of the most beautiful places in this world. We are praying for you all. Regards to everyone.
Dear Ashley, this is Hannah's mom. Gladys e-mailed your blog to me. It was nice to read about your trip experiences so far. We will be praying for you all. Love , Shirly
Post a Comment