Elephant Riding in the Nepali Hills

So a few updates are in order.  
Number 1:  The ride to Chitwan was beautiful.  We shimmied our way up the mountain and had incredible views of the rivers and many small waterfalls.  According to Gajendra, these are not actually mountains...only hills.  These hills were bigger than any mountain in the U.S.  Absolutely beautiful!  The elephant safari was incredible as well. Hands down one of the coolest things I have EVER done.  We didn’t just ride an elephant around in a circle, we rode an elephant through a jungle.  At times, the path was not so clear so we had to duck and hold limbs out of the way.  We spent over 2 hours on the elephant ride crossing through many puddles and a river (which came up to the elephants ears).  Did I mention it was pouring down rain as we got on the elephants?  How many people can say they rode an elephant through a river in Nepal (with ponchos)?  I could have afforded to leave out the rain part, but it did cool things down a bit even if we were soaking wet and stinky.  That night in Chitwan we also went to watch a cultural show with a group of guys demonstrating tribal dances.  It was actually really neat. I probably could have danced with the best of them no doubt.  We stayed in a “resort” in Chitwan that reminded me a lot of a fish camp (although I have never been to one...I imagine it would be something like that).  But it didn’t bother me once I tucked my net in and hit the pillow. I didn’t move all night long!  Besides, why would we go to on a mission trip and see the conditions people live in and then put ourselves up in a five-star hotel?  Shouldn’t there be some guilt in that?
Number 2: We completed our third Kids Camp at Hetauda on Wednesday.  This church was one of the first churches in Nepal to start Awana, and is one of the biggest.  Gajendra kept pointing out the leaders and saying “They used to be a clubber...” , and some are even on his ministry team.  The Hetauda kids camp was one of the toughest.  We did about 2 hours worth of basketball outside, and it was really hot and humid, and we were already sore from our basketball playing and elephant riding.  At one point we thought we would just have to quit and go inside.  But, we made it!  Chris wants to do Ping Pong Clinics next time...too hot and rainy for basketball in the summer! 
One thing I noticed in Hetauda is how much the Nepali people like to serve (and do crafts).  During the Bible quizzing we decided to put together Wordless Book Bracelets in another room.  As we started pulling the beads out, we had a few girls walk up and watch.  Then they jumped right in to help!  Next thing we knew, me and Mom were just sitting back watching about ten girls and boys put together the bracelets for us!  Easy way to get the job done.  After the Bible Quiz we held a short service for the kids.  Gajendra has done an excellent job leading the invitation for us.  It is a bit different in countries like Nepal and India because of the millions of gods the people hear of everyday.  It is crucial that they know our God is not just another one of their gods.  When Gajendra was finished, I counted15 hands that were raised.  We were talking later on about the Kids Camps and what had been accomplished through them.  Gajendra said it best when he said, “If just one child gets saved, we have done our job.”  Indeed we have.  
Number 3: On Thursday we held our last kids camp.  This camp was in one of the most beautiful places I have seen.  We were surrounded by mountains (or “Nepali hills”), and fields of crops.  Mom, Dad, Chris, and myself were alone for this last camp.  It was a small camp, but many of the kids who showed up had walked for two hours to get there.  It was a fun day with a wonderful climate.  We had a great time putting together crafts and handing out ornaments and suckers.  We also got to have one more church cooked Nepali meal.  I think we have had our fair share of rice!  The food is great, but sometimes it can be tough when you are not used to it.  Those countryside people sure can cook though!  I hope when I get home I can get my Nepali tea to taste as good as theirs.  
Well, it’s hard to believe we have finished up all our camps.  There is still so much to talk about.  One thing I have noticed about going to both India and Nepal is how much of an impact Awana truly has.  I feel like often times we take it for granted in the U.S., or give credit to other things.  We talked with one church leader in the Bhutanese Refugee camps and he went on and on about the impact Awana has had on the number of church members in the camps.  Awana helped one church in Hetauda to grow into one of the biggest churches in Nepal.  What I think is incredible is that in countries like Nepal and India you find children from Hindu families reciting Bible verses.  In fact, one very young girl recited 26 verses in 3 minutes.  How many of us can recite 26 verses, period?
Well, that’s enough for now.  The rest of our team headed back Thursday morning, but Chris and myself stuck around for some sightseeing while Mom and Dad meet with the National Directors.  I look forward to letting you know more about our trip over the next few days.  I will keep you posted on our final days!
Category: 2 comments

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ashley-
I work at Awana International and I have met your mom and dad a few times. Thanks for blogging about your trip. I have posted a link to your blog on the Awana International Facebook page.

Robin

Unknown said...

Wow! Great blogs, Ashley! Thanks for documenting your trip with Awana. Everyone at the International Office in Streamwood, IL is appreciative of your work! Keep it up and safe travels home!
Tom Chilton
Director of International Training
Awana International